Proud to release the best most stable version of our sound engine to-date! Not just a simple set of extra features added but some significant improvements added in this release, as well as some annoying bugs being squashed.
Unfortunately some of the improvements and fixes have required changes to how some commands are called, these are kept to a minimum but sometimes they simply have to happen. Both of the two breaking changes are detailed in the changelog (available here and on the obtain page) and relate to SoundBank selection and the U235SE_modaddy/modaddy variable. The changes are small, but will cause existing code to break, so please read and understand these changes before attempting to use this version.
With that bad news out the way, what is the exciting new improvements? Well better interaction with the Jaguar’s memory bus! The size of cached data pre-fetched has been increased, this means less interruptions to bus access as sample data is fetched in larger chunks, for small samples this could even mean keeping the DSP off the bus almost completely! AND improved playback accuracy, not just slightly, but by a factor of 10! this results in notes and fractional notes sounding much better and in-tune.
There are other improvements as always, and thanks to code provided by CJ (Reboot) demonstrating a bug that would cause module playback to stop, this bug has now been removed allowing for module changes without risk of music going away.
We hope you enjoy this update and thank you for your continued use of our software.
I have just added a new page to our Developer section on this website. The Object Lists page only has a simple chart to aid in creating objects for the Object Processor, I did think about making it a simple news post but didn’t want it to be more complicated to find than it needed to be, so it now has it’s own page.
After a 4 year break, why not go for the other extreme? So here we are with roughly a week since last release! and quite a bit done too (full details in the changelog).
A significant change has been made to the way fine tunes in modules are handled, this has removed the need of a 4K LUT and impact on system bus when working with samples with a fine tune applied, as well as much more accurate playback of these samples with other effects.
As well as optimisations to the code to free up some extra cycles on the DSP, we have exposed a couple of SE status registers, allowing users to monitor for successful stopping of the DSP, and the status of sample voices, so now you can look to see if there is a voice doing nothing and fire a sample on it, instead of overwriting an existing sample.
Also the ability to stop a looping sample when it reaches the end of the loop, and not immediately.
After over 4 years! unfortunately most of those years have been spent languishing in a variety of code repositories and not being developed. Although along the way some bugs and omissions have been patched and a small amount of tidying up. Nothing too ground breaking, equates for Joysticks are correct in this release and the DSP stop code finally works thanks to Shamus. Hoping to get through the backlog of bugs and push another release out much sooner (although 4 years shouldn’t be hard to beat 🙂 ).
The earlier release of the Graphics converter had an unforeseen issue in requiring the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable to be installed. This has now been patched out and version 0.00.05 released which requires no additional libraries.
Sorry for any inconvenience or frustration this has caused.
Our graphics convertor tool has had a minor update to allow it to function without needing you to install additional libraries. It still makes use of the excellent ImageMagick libraries, but these are now statically linked into the binary.
So now it can still read all of the image formats, but is all contained in the single (larger) exe.
Another night spent working my way through the SoundEngine manual, version 0.21 nears launch, so there is a new feature to document, some old features I had forgotten to document (Thanks CJ for pointing those out 🙂 ) and a general tidy up here and there.
Still hoping to have the next version out this month (February), so keep checking back, or the usual places on AtariAge and Jagware (which I will update as and when it’s released).
It’s quite an exciting time in the U-235 bunker at the moment, work has been progressing nicely these last few weeks adding some extra features to the SoundEngine. U-235 are very proud to have had our SoundEngine selected for use by Reboot in their RAPTOR Engine and the subsequent games based on this technology. So it’s obviously a great honour to have our work also be ported into the upcoming release Rebooteroids!
Working closely with the guys in Reboot to meet the needs of Rebooteroids highlighted a new feature for the SoundEngine, Pad & spinner code! Now the SoundEngine takes care of polling pad 1 & 2, presenting the state of the pads as two individual bitmaps. Spinner code has also been added to allow the reading of rotary controllers.
At this time the code is only present in the custom build of the SoundEngine, but these features will of course be ported into full general releases of the SoundEngine. Pad read code is planned to be included in the next release, with spinner reading code coming in a release after that most likely. The next release of the SoundEngine will hopefully be in February this year assuming no big hitches with the development or available time.
Big thanks to Cyrano Jones of Reboot for the suggestion and various code fragments and feedback.